Five students have received scholarships from NIPCO and Basin Electric Power Cooperative for the 2021/2022 academic year.
Scholarships are submitted by applicants in January and reviewed by an outside, independent panel of judges and awarded based on academic performance, student activity, volunteerism, and character. In addition, each applicant must submit an essay, outlining his or her experience. Three scholarships are awarded to a dependent of a NIPCO employee and up to two are offered to dependents of an employee of a NIPCO Member Cooperative. NIPCO was pleased to award scholarships to the following individuals:
SCHOLARSHIPS AWARDED TO CHILDREN OF NIPCO EMPLOYEES:
- Paige Washburn, daughter of NIPCO Executive Vice President & General Manager Matt Washburn and wife, Courtney, was awarded a $1,000 scholarship from Basin Electric Power Cooperative. Paige will be a sophomore at the University of Iowa and is majoring in biology with a minor in business administration on a pre-dental track.
- Shelby Scheitler, daughter of NIPCO Chief Financial Officer Jane Scheitler and husband, Bill, was awarded an $850 scholarship from NIPCO. Shelby will be a senior at Iowa State University in the fall and is majoring in accounting with plans to graduate in the summer of 2022 with a Masters Degree in accounting.
- Karlee Schiff, daughter of NIPCO Electrician Foreman Josh Schiff and wife, Devon, was awarded a $600 scholarship from NIPCO. Karlee will be a freshman at the University of South Dakota and plans to major in Kinesiology then plans to continue on for her Doctorate in Physical Therapy.
SCHOLARSHIPS AWARDED TO CHILDREN OF NIPCO MEMBER COOPERATIVE EMPLOYEES:
NIPCO also offers two $600 academic scholarships. Dependent students of member cooperative employees are eligible for these scholarship awards. In 2021, NIPCO awarded these scholarships to the following individuals:
- Hudson Barnum is the son of Harrison County Rural Electric Cooperative (REC) Sub Foreman Kert Barnum and wife Amanda. Hudson will be a sophomore at the University of Iowa and is majoring in psychology with a minor in business administration while working to complete his pre-medical and honors courses requirements.
- Kendyl Ruschy is the daughter of Iowa Lakes Electric Cooperative Marketing Assistant Bobbi Jo Ruschy and husband Neal. Kendyl will be a freshman at Northwestern College in Orange City in the fall and plans to obtain a Bachelor of Science Degree in Nursing (BSN). She hopes to continue to work toward pursuing a physician assistant degree.
Congratulations to all of NIPCO’s scholarship winners!