Last week NIPCO employees attended fire extinguisher training to learn about how to identify fire classifications, best practices in fire safety, as well as hands-on training of proper fire extinguisher use.
Here are a few key tips from our training:
- Never turn your back to a fire – you never know when it will reignite or explode, causing debris to fly and potentially injure you.
- After putting out a fire, such as in your home/office, get out of the building immediately following extinguishing the fire.
- Know the location and proper operating capacity of your fire extinguisher.
- Inspect your fire extinguisher(s) monthly, including: condition of the fire extinguisher, accessibility, recommended pressure level, locking pin and nozzle hose.
- Create and know your Emergency Action Plan for escape and rendezvous location.
- Know when to get out – you can’t put out every fire! Some are too large and out of control to handle with a fire extinguisher.
- To properly use a fire extinguisher, remember to P. A. S. S. – Pull the pin, Aim the nozzle at the base of the fire, Squeeze the trigger, and Sweep the nozzle from side-to-side.
- Never let the fire get between you and your exit!
We hope these fire extinguisher tips were helpful! NIPCO urges everyone to always practice fire safety and take a proactive approach to ensure correct emergency response.