Northwest Iowa Power Cooperative (NIPCO) currently has no available positions. Please check back soon!
Check out the Top 10 Reasons to Consider a Co-op Career
By ROBERT A. DICKELMAN
There are many ways to earn a paycheck, but some are more rewarding than others. Here are 10 reasons for you to consider joining the electric cooperative family, whether you’re interested in working in an office environment or on a line crew.
- Tech Focus. The electricity industry is at the leading edge of a global energy revolution. Rapid advances in renewable generation, energy storage and smart grid technologies will change the way we use electricity. If you work at an electric cooperative, you can be part of this once-in-a-lifetime industry transformation.
- Culture. Cooperatives hold themselves to the highest standards of professionalism and integrity, while still maintaining a close-knit, family-friendly working environment. Decisions are made locally, by managers who know employees by name – not halfway across the country in an anonymous corporate headquarters where profit is the primary motivator. The smaller size and local control of co-ops also gives them more flexibility to innovate and try new ideas to improve the service they provide.
- Clean Environment. Electricity is one of our cleanest energy sources, and as technology improves, innovations such as electric cars, next-generation heating and cooling systems, home automation and other forms of environmentally beneficial electrification will reduce our reliance on less efficient forms of energy.
- Retirement Security. Today, it might seem a long way off, but we all need to plan for retirement. Co-op employees deliver a valuable service to their communities, and they’re rewarded for that dedication with outstanding retirement benefits. Many co-ops offer both a 401(k) plan and a defined-benefit pension plan.
- National Reach. America’s 900-plus electric cooperatives serve 47 states and almost 75 percent of our nation’s landmass. So, whether you want to stay in your hometown or explore another part of the country, odds are good that there will be an electric cooperative nearby.
- Stability. There are no guarantees in life, but some bets are safer than others. Electronics play a critical and growing role in our daily lives, and as our reliance on technology increases so will our demand for electricity. As long as we need electricity, we’ll need workers to ensure that it’s safe, reliable, affordable and environmentally responsible.
- Principles. Not Profit. When you work for an electric cooperative, you’re not helping the Wall Street elite get richer. You’re working to serve your friends, family and neighbors who collectively own the cooperative. And you can participate in the election of officers and the way the business is run.
- Global movement. As a member of the co-op family, you’re part of something much larger than yourself. The cooperative movement represents a human-centered, ethically driven way of doing business. More than 250 million people around the world earn their living working in cooperatives, and the cooperative economy generates approximately $2.5 trillion in global economic activity each year.
- Competitive pay. You won’t get rich working for your local electric co-op, but you’ll enjoy excellent pay and benefits that can help you and the people you love achieve the American dream.
- Stronger community. Safe, reliable and affordable energy is critical to the health and prosperity of a community. Electric cooperatives power our homes, schools, farms and businesses – and they keep rural America connected to the global economy.
Robert A. Dickelman is the former editor of Living with Energy in Iowa magazine.
This article originally appeared in Living with Energy in Iowa magazine. Copyright 2017 Iowa Association of Electric Cooperatives.
Vets Power Us Initiative
By leveraging the collective power of America's Electric Cooperatives, we can show appreciation for our veteran employees while reinforcing our industry's commitment to hiring veterans and highlighting the range of exciting careers at a co-op.
Retired NIPCO Employees Share Their Experiences
As employees of NIPCO retire, they chat about their experiences with the generation and transmission cooperative and talk about how they feel they have contributed to NIPCO's Big Picture accomplishments.
Vets Power Us
NIPCO is proud to participate in "Vets Power Us", a program to recruit, hire, and honor veterans. With more than...